Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Another Turn Taken, Heading For Home

Memories Of Mom

Even though my given name is officially Keith William, I honestly thought my name was Richard...Paul...Keith, while I was growing up. This was due to the fact that when I was young, Mom would rattled off my brother's names first, before getting to mine, whenever I did something wrong and she got mad. This is one of the first stories I recount, when I think of my mother.

Or the time, in the second grade, when I sprained my ankle, so bad that mom walked all the way to my school and carried me home, on her shoulders, because we didn’t have a car.

When we were young, I remember the long walks with mom and my brothers. We would pick up soda bottles, because we could get 2 cents apiece, at the local pony keg, in order to get a treat or ice cream.

Of course, the times when mom made me go get a belt or switch, when it was time for a attitude correction.

However, for me, the best was when I was at her bedside, this past Thursday. The Hospice nurse and I were discussing, down the hall, in a conference room, how mom would stare at one place, whenever she was awake. The nurse indicated that it was her belief that she was staring at someone, who was waiting for her to pass.

After the meeting, I went back to mom’s room to say goodbye. She was staring at that one place, totally unaware that I was in the room. I reached down and kissed her on her forehead. I said, “Is that Grandma waiting for you?” She blinked and turn to look straight in my eyes and said, “Dad, too.” She then turned back to staring at the same spot. I said “I Love You, Mom.” That was the last time we spoke.

My mom passed away Friday.



16 comments:

  1. Keith, I thought there was something sad in your life when I read your comment on my blog. I know exactly what you are going through, and when my mum passed away she too was looking very firmly towards the wall at the bottom of her hospital bed, pointing at something (someone I believe) whom I could not see.
    The great comfort I have since my near death experience is that there is a beautiful place , the third heaven, that our spirit is taken to when we are believers in God and His Son Jesus.
    God bless you with all the love and comfort He gives us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda! I have prepared for this, but still doesn't take away the sting of it all. I firmly believe that God gives the remnant glimpses into his reality, as a reward and comfort during hard times. Thanks again for your words of comfort. They are greatly appreciated.

      Delete
    2. Yes I agree Keith, and another thing that comes to my mind is that life on this earth is like a puff of smoke, but eternal life in the Lord is what lies ahead when we shall all be together.

      Delete
    3. Hey Brenda, sorry for the delay in responding to this comment. For some reason, your comment reminded me of the song, "Who am I?" by Casting Crowns. Have you heard of it?

      I am a flower quickly fading
      Here today and gone tomorrow
      A wave tossed in the ocean
      A vapor in the wind
      Still you hear me when I'm calling
      Lord, you catch me when I'm falling
      And you've told me who I am
      I am yours

      Thanks, Brenda.

      Delete
  2. Though a difficult moment, indeed, I see comfort and hope with what your mom had seen. That the Lord's promise of eternal life is true! When my father was also dying, he would be looking at corners of his bedroom. But what stood out one night was that he commented out of the blue that there was a very big man, waiting by the house's door, who told him that people go in groups and he was there to pick these people up. My oldest Christian brother and I thought he might be talking about an angel? As a nurse, of course, I assessed if he was confused. But he was answering appropriately at that moment. There's a lot of things we don't know in the spirit realm. But may we all remain strong and live our lives in Spirit and Truth. Praying for the Lord's strength and comfort and joy to wrap you and your family. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosel.! I agree. God gives us glimpses into his reality. I think the incident with my mom was one of them. I was talking to one of my cousins, at the funeral. He told me that one incident doesn't prove anything to him. I told him, yes, one incident doesn't prove anything, but the many incidences within our life adds up to a very compelling stack of evidence that points to God and a reality beyond this time and space. You just can't ignore all of them. Thanks again for your kind words and comfot.

      Delete
    2. I have a wall art of 2 Corinthians 5:7 (which my son purchased for himself when he was living in his apartment while going to college). He told me he chose to hang it by the door to remind him each day he went out that it is not by seeing that we believe but by faith. It melted my heart to know that he knew what it meant to truly see not by his eyes but from his heart! Yes... You're right! We can't ignore any incidents. Everything points to the Lord so that us, sinners, have that chance to be reconciled with Him. Thank God for His love and grace. Came back to pray for you.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Rosel! Sorry for the delay. I've been out of town. That is sooo cool that your son has that kind of faith. You have raised him well. Thanks for the prayers. I need them. I am embarking on an evangelic endeaver and for some reason, I can't seem to get over the hump. Please continue to pray. Thanks, again.

      Delete
  3. Hi! At a burial yesterday and one of the words quoted: "Song of Solomon 6:2 My beloved is gone down into his garden, to the beds of spices, To feed in the gardens and to gather lilies."
    Trust you are comforted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that passage. Thanks, David! I think you would've liked mom's burial sermon. It checked off all the boxes. Thanks for your words of comfort.

      Delete
  4. So sorry to hear about your mom. Better place, waiting for us to come home. Praying for you and the family, bro.

    ReplyDelete