Thursday, January 31, 2019

Timothy And Epaphroditus: Great Examples Of Doulos, Bond Servants

Philippians 2:19

Now, I hope, in the Lord Y’shua, to send Timothy, to you quickly, in order that I likewise be of good cheer, learning of the condition of you.

By this verse, we find that Paul's main source of information, about the Philippian fellowship, has been by Timothy traveling back and forth. This makes me wonder how long has Paul been in the custody. According to some scholars, while deducing from scripture, Paul visited the city on two other occasions, in 56 and 57. Since this letter to the Philippians is dated around 61-62, it is possible that Paul could have been in custody, for up to six years, which explains a lot about his disposition, in this letter.

Regardless, he longs to hear good news, in order to cheer him up. I would too, if I had been in Roman chains, for that long and not being able to do the Lord's work.

Philippians 2:19-21

For having no other of equal soul faithfully caring about your interests and for your care, for all seek for themselves, not the Messiah Y’shua.

This is an interesting comment, which shows that the life of a missionary is very lonely and sometimes sad. Of all things Paul had done over the last 25-30 years, you would think that there would be someone, who would care for the Remnant of God, at Philippi, in the same way that Paul did. Apparently not. But why? What is the litmus test for this life of missionary work?

To be a missionary, it requires a person that has a heart and commitment for the people, they are administering. Far too many people attempt to do missionary work, but fail, because they seek their well-being over the people. When you are a missionary, even a minister of a local fellowship, you can't think about yourself more than the people your are administering to. You are like the parent. They are like your children, until they are off the milk and eating meat, for themselves. How long? It's different for every individual. It takes a strong and dedicated individual to have an Agape love and commitment for the fellowship. Apparently, here, Paul only had Timothy, to rely on, for this work.

Philippians 2:22

Moreover knowing his experience since serving with me for the good message as a child with his father.

Even though Timothy was the only one that Paul could rely on, for this mission, it appears that Paul felt the need to reassure the Philippians that Timothy would be a good replacement, for the time being. Why? Some say that it was due to Timothy's age. I doubt it, because he was somewhere around 43, at this time.

Some say that it was possibly the fact that Timothy was always getting sick. Talking about being sick, another reason for Timothy's departure could be to accompany Epaphroditus home, because he also died. We read about that in a few verses.

It is also possible that since Timothy, being from the area, (Lystra was only 600 miles away from Philippi) Paul feared that Timothy could be subjected to the same treatment that all prophets encounter, that he would be rejected. Y'shua even said,

"Be assured, I tell you, no prophet is accepted in his own country." Luke 4:24

Regardless of the reason, Paul felt the need to remind the Philippians of Timothy's experience with the Gospel and that Timothy was with him and was very knowlegable of God's message as a son would be with his father, a very high commendation.

Philippians 2:23-24

This being so, I hope to send him straight away when I set his attention away from concerns which are presently towards me and having confidence in the Lord that I also will come shortly thereafter.


Showing his love for Paul, Timothy is really worried about Paul and his present predicament. He's probably wondering who is going to take care of Paul. However, Paul is confident that he won't be too far behind Timothy. With all that said, does this show a little immaturity on Timothy's part? Shouldn't he be doing God's work and letting God take care of Paul? Honestly, I don't know if I could leave a love one behind in a prison.

Philippians 2:25-30

Also, I deemed it necessary to send to you, Epaphroditus, my brother and companion and fellow laborer for the cause of the Messiah moreover your apostle and minister of my business (Life Needs), because he desperately desires and longs for you with a heavy heart because you heard the news of his sickness, for indeed his sickness was almost death but the Lord showed him mercy. Not him only, but also on me in order not to have mourning upon my pain. This being so, I am sending him promptly where, in that place you see him again gladly. I, in like manner, would be free from pain and grief. Receive him accordingly in the Lord with all joy and hold such men honorable, noble and in high regard, for approaching death for the sake of the Messiah, disregarding his life so to fulfill what is lacking in your service to me.

In addition to Timothy, Paul is sending Epaphroditus, who also turns out to be an apostle to the Philippians. Philippi appears to be his home. Epaphroditus means "lovely", which means that he was a baby devoted to Aphrodite, a Pagan God, a common practice to the Greek world.

It also appears that Epaphroditus possibly didn't leave Philippi, on the best of terms, due to the fact that Paul tells them to receive them gladly. Otherwise, why wouldn't they receive him gladly?

We find that Epaphroditus fell sick, while with Paul and Timothy and he almost died. Along with the sickness, he appears to be homesick also. Therefore, Paul is sending him home. Epaphroditus appears to be worn out and more than ready to go home. With all that said, Epaphroditus did almost die for the service to the Lord, which is a reason to honor him. How many of us would disregard the comforts of home to go out on the road for the Lord?

Finally, could Paul, being old and ready to die, have been making it somewhat easier on Timothy and Epaphroditus, not making them see Paul in misery and possibly being put to death by the Romans? In the end, Paul does make it out of there and sees the Philippians again, before he dies.

As a side note, there are some who teach that Paul was in a Philippian jail here, as documented in Acts 16. I don't think so, because when Paul and Silas was in the Philippian jail and were happy. It's a good story, check it out. The Paul, here in the Book of Philippians, has a total different disposition. Could've been in Caesarea or Rome. Don't really know.

All the time, during this letter, Paul has been praising the Philippians. However, Paul lets something slip, in verse 30. He obviously thought that the Philippians kind of dropped the ball, when it came to helping me, during this time. He tells the Phillipians that Epaphroditus made up for their shortcomings. We'll have to ask him, 'What did he mean, by that comment?'.

36 comments:

  1. Hi Keith,
    I have not studied all of what you have written here, but I have always believed that unless I put what the Lord wants me to do first then life on earth, which is like a puff of smoke, would be worthless. A person that is seeking to do the Lord's work on earth will know when they are going down the right road as Jesus said 'In me you have peace.'
    ' I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.' John ch. 16 v.33.
    The Holy Spirit is sent to lead us into all truth and that written Word is the plumb line to judge that by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Brenda. Live, Love and Die in the Messiah and receive an everlasting gift beyond compare. It's a short period of time, in the overall scheme of things. It's a no brainer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for sharing your well written post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Tanza. I hope and pray that you will join us on a regular basis. Thanks, for coming over. I also checked I just looked at your website...a lot of interesting entries. It'll take time to get through them all. Thanks, again and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keith,
    I have to ask you, do you know who anonymous is on Paul's blog, as you mentioned 'wife and cats' in your comment to him. If I don't have answers to things I have to ask questions:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Brenda, Sorry for the delay in my response. I have been out of internet and cellular coverage, for a few days. The style of writing reminds me of Tim. However, it's pure speculation. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, so Tim is a cat lover too is he, as I am. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It appears that I may be wrong. I just read anonymous' response. I just texted him to confirm. Of course he just posted on his blog, I'm pretty sure it was him. I hate to think there's two of him. :-) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well at least if there are two of him that doubles the cats, (but hopefully not the wives,) I love cats :-)
    I am not sure if I have got the details of Tim's blog, what is it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. He has a political blog. You can find it here.

    Ideas of Tim

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Keith, well, haven’t you got anything better to talk about than cats ?
    Cats don’t get you SAVED ! but only the Lord Jesus Christ can save you from the pits of hell.
    Yes Keith, only Jesus and NOT Y’shua can save you. Remember, there is no other Name given under heaven and on earth whereby you must be saved.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Keith,
    I might have a look at it, see what is there. I think I have interacted with him before and have him on my followers list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Paul. We agree.

    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

    Amen!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amen to what you have said Keith. Thank God for Y'shua, the One mediator between man and God - His Father.
    'For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus'
    1 Timothy ch. 2 vs.5. Hallelujah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes Keith, If you would really come to JESUS, then you have come to the way, the truth and the life, and you would be complete in Him.

    Keith, as long as you believe in that false god Yahweh and in that man called Y’shua, then you will never be complete.

    Look my friend only in JESUS who is the Christ you will be complete !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brenda, “thank God for Y’shua.”

    To WHICH God do you give thanks to ?
    And for a man called Y’shua ?

    Well Brenda, why can't you read the Bible ?
    And why do you ADD two names to the Bible, one called Yahweh and someone else called Y’shua ?

    Why do you pervert the Word of God so much as to bring confusion to those who want to know the true God ?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brenda,
    You said, “ Thank God for Y'shua, the One mediator between man and God - His Father.”

    I say that anyone who comes to JESUS who is the Christ has come to the living God, and he or she does not need a mediator (middleman) anymore, for they have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to myriads of angels, to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood, which speaks better than the blood of Abel.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Paul,
    we can not learn God's ways without a mediator. God has given all authority to Jesus, He was the Word of God made flesh. You admit yourself in your comment that Jesus is the mediator of a new covenant. We are no longer under the law, but the grace of God.
    We can not remove God, Whom Jesus Himself says is His Father. Jesus was sacrificed so that we could be reconciled with God, and be born of the Spirit which Jesus said the Father would send. It is the Spirit that leads is into all truth that I, and all who are baptized of it, have been born of.
    However 1 Corinthians ch. 15 vs. 27 and 28 states regarding Jesus' authority:-

    'For “God has put everything under His feet.” Now when it says that everything has been put under Him, this clearly does not include the One who put everything under Him. And when all things have been subjected to Him, then the Son Himself will be made subject to Him who put all things under Him, so that God may be all in all. '

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brenda, you throw a lot of verses at me in order to hide your ignorance.
    I’m sure that you don’t know what you are talking about.

    Tell me, what do you mean by ‘Jesus is the mediator of a new covenant. We are no longer under the law, but the grace of God.’

    Please explain in detail.

    ReplyDelete
  20. No, I don't throw a lot of verses at you Paul, I just refer to scripture that you can look at - if you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Keith, I just looked at Tim's blog but he doesn't have a Christian blog like I thought he did, just a book about spiritual gifts that he sells on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Paul, You wrote, "..why do you ADD two names to the Bible, one called Yahweh and someone else called Y’shua?"

    We can ask you the same question and be more valid.

    Why do you SUBTRACT two names away from the Bible, one called Yahweh and Y’shua ?

    Why do you, Paul, pervert the Word of God so much as to bring confusion to those who want to know the true God ?

    Why can't you just let the Bible speak for itself?

    And why does it bother you for Brenda to throw Bible verses at you? Does those arrows of truth hurt you?

    So many questions that I'm sure you will not answer.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well said Chris,
    'Why do you SUBTRACT two names away from the Bible, one called Yahweh and Y’shua ?'

    I think you must be a writer, and you definitely know your Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Brenda, so you can’t explain why you are not under the Law of God ?
    Does that mean that you are above the Law of God ?
    Does that mean that you now can break the Law of God and you will not get punished ? or what ?
    Does that mean that you can do whatever you like and God will NOT hold you accountable for transgressing the Law because of grace ? or what ?

    What is grace in contrast to the Law of God ?
    Does grace give you a free pass to transgress the Law of God ? or what ?

    Also, what does that mean to you that Jesus is the mediator of a new covenant ?


    And Brenda, you cannot subtract two names from the Bible that are NOT in the Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Paul,
    in answer to your last comment to me
    just look at the last comment that Chris has made to you, I echo every word he has said.
    Read the Bible for all answers to your questions.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yes Brenda, I wished that you would read the Bible.

    OK. I say it again.
    I have three Bibles in front me, the New American Standard Bible, the King James Bible, the New International Bible and numerous other Bibles on my bookshelf.
    Brenda, the name Yahweh is NOT ONCE mentioned in any Bible, and neither is the Name Y’shua mentioned in the Bible.

    Those names are diametrically opposed to Scriptures.

    You can NOT SUBTRACT two names who are not in the Bible Brenda.
    That would be stupid and moronic.

    If you cannot accept that, then I will not talk to you anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Chris, I concur with Brenda. Very well said, my brother in the Messiah. Let's see those questions answered.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Brenda, keep those darts of truth coming and pinned down and destroy the enemies of God's Word. The Gates of Hell will not Prevail. May God Bless You and Your Family.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is quite alright with me Paul,
    I think it is God you need to talk to about your errors. You will find what He will answer you in the Scriptures. I just hope you will believe every Word written there. As the body of Christ on earth we are many parts and will fit together as long as we have the same mind - the mind of Christ. We only have to look at what Jesus says regarding His Father God to know which Spirit is in us. What is said there is truth, anything that goes against the truth is a lie.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The gates of Hell will certainly not prevail against the Spirit of God Keith, and I always love to interact with brothers and sisters in the Lord. May God bless you and yours too.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Paul, I honestly can't say it better than Brenda and Chris. Read the Word of God, Word for Word. Don't let the teachings of Man's allow you to miss the nuances of God's Word and the Message he is conveying.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Paul, I found another verse that I would like you to quote for me. John 20:17

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just had to quote that verse Keith:-
    'Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'

    The truth can not be quenched, for all have access to it. Praise the Lord, thank You Father for sending Your Son.

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's been a month since my last question to Paul and it looks like he didn't answer. Typical.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hey Chris, honestly, did you expect anything different from Paul?

    ReplyDelete