Monday, January 15, 2018

The Bible And It's Unicorns

Did you know that atheists and other unbelievers ridicule the Bible and believers due to unicorns being mentioned in the Bible? For years and even today, nonbelievers still challenge the faith of many believers, by bringing up the fanciful mentioning of unicorns, as being real creatures, within the Bible. Also, many Biblical scholars, in the past, had pointed to the Rhinoceros as the animal fitting the bill of the Biblical unicorn. Unfortunately, this led to even more ridicule, because it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that Rhinoceros has two horns, not one. Also, the Hebrew word, Reem, translated as the unicorn, means 'wild bull' and could not be a Rhino, even thought the white Rhinoceros is the correct size, if it weren't for the two horns issue.

Note: After this was originally posted, T.J. commented (See Below) that there is a single horned Rhinoceros, the Rhinoseros Unicornis, but no skeletal remains have ever been found in the Middle East.

One additional thing, the often atheists quoted heroes of Aristotle and Pliny, the Elder, mentioned the unicorn, in their writings, a point totally glossed over, by the atheists. But what were the Bible authors, Aristotle and Pliny talking about, when they mentioned the unicorn.

Amazingly, if you ask the local indigenous people of the Middle East, you'll quickly find the answer. They will show you the unruly Arabian Oryx. Even though the Oryx has two horns, some do lose their horns in battle or rough play. Once lost, their horns do not grow back, making them a unicorn. Even with their horns intact, they appear to be a single horned animal.

Well, once again, the Bible has been proven correct. However, I wonder if the atheists will continue to exploit the ignorance of others, and ridicule the Bible and its believers.

...and that's what you'll find, When You Search For The Truth.




15 comments:

  1. That’s funny, I didn’t know that rhinos have two horns. I’m not sure if I agree with you about the oryx being the unicorn but I am sure that there was an animal called the reem. Unicorns are an unfortunate translation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey William, I definitely agree that there was an animal called Reem. I’m not sure why unicorn was originally used. I will have to look into it further.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another option is that the animal being referred to is extinct. Not the fairy tale unicorn with rainbows and ribbons per se but still an animal with one horn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always thought that the Rhinosaurus being the unicorn was ludicrous. I like the fact that Pliny and Aristotle actually pointed to the oryx as a unicorn. I never heard that before. As William said, I would like to know how the word reem was originally translated as a unicorn in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Tim, I agree. Even the Hebrew lexicon suggests that it could have been the aurochs, an extinct animal. However, it was a two horn animal. Also, there is no skeletal remains that would suggest that it was a one horned animal. I guess it could have ocassionally lost a horn, as the oryx do. I guess the bigger question is why was the Hebrew Word, reem, translated as unicorn in versions as early as the Septuagint.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Chris and William, I have investigated a little further and found that in the Greek Septuagint Reem was translated as unicorn. I will look into what the actual Greek word was and what it means. I will get back with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keith, this is TJ. One small correction. There is one rhinosaurus that has only one horn and that is the rhinoceros unicornis, but I do agree that there has been no skeletal remains found within the Middle East.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey TJ. What’s Up!!! Thanks for the correction. I’ll correct the post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here is food for thought, we may know it as reem or re'em. But in Hebrew the letters are resh, alef, mem. Alef by itself means ox. Resh means top or head. Mem means water. Could it be some water oxen with a horn?

    Now just a play of words, not meant for doctrine, resh alef mem spells ram😀 in English...just a neat coincidence.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you’re on to something, Tim. I would think that’s how they built their original words. It makes perfect sense that it would be a water oxen or similar.. Good catch, my friend! I like!. Thanks!

    There may be even something to the ram coincidence. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. By the way Tim, did you notice that the root word for Re’em is Ra’am?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Keith, I have to say that this is what I like about your posts. I would've never thought that I would be studying rhinos, oxen and caveman drawings for the past few days. Matbe I need to get a life. JK LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tim, I like the letter meanings. It's kind of like caveman drawings. I think it that maybe it connects you and brings us closer to what they were thinking back then.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jesus explained things like this in the temple if you ask me when he was young and found there. All of those in the temple were being amazed at what he knew, and he did say all jots and tittles mean something because they will be explained.

    It amazes me how God put all of this together and to discover things puts me in awe.

    Chris...it's so easy a caveman can do it (Geico commercial) :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's funny, Tim. Again, I quoted Matthew 5:18, last night, when I closed our study on the book of Matthew. In addition, the rabbis have a saying that not only will the Messiah interpret the scriptures, when he comes, he will also interpret the yots, tittles and the spaces between. It is amazing and, as you said, awe inspiring, when you start looking at the intricacies of God's Word. He is truly the Master.

    ReplyDelete