Sunday, April 19, 2020

Begging The Same Question.....Who Do You Say I AM?


"First of all, the first chapter isn't about Israel." I responded to a Rabbinical Jew, concerning the first chapter of Isaiah. "It's about Judah and Jerusalem and what it had grew into and how it grew into a sinful people, to the point of being referred to, by God, as Sodom and Gomorrah." He disagreed and continued to insist that the chapter was about Israel and God's attempt to reconcile with them. I thought I would share this summary of Isaiah, chapter one and would like to hear your thoughts.

God continues to inform Isaiah of what he will do to Judah and Jerusalem, including giving up on them, not listening to their prayers and not accepting their sacrifices, which appears to continue until this day.

God even says, "Stop bringing meaningless offerings! Your incense is detestable to me. New Moons, Sabbaths and convocations— I cannot bear your worthless assemblies. Your New Moon feasts and your appointed festivals I hate with all my being. They have become a burden to me; I am weary of bearing them. When you spread out your hands in prayer, I hide my eyes from you; even when you offer many prayers, I am not listening."

Please notice that Judah and Jerusalem were doing what they were supposed to be doing, according to the Law, but God was shunning their attempts of self righteousness and meaningless worship, as he is today, with the descendants of Judah, the Rabbinical Jews. 

This begs the question, "Why?". Why would God reject his people, to the point of shunning them, even though they were performing the rituals of going through the paces and/to the letter of the Law?
In chapter two, he gives that reason. 

"Stop trusting in mere humans, who have but a breath in your nostrils. Why hold them in esteem?" Who are these mere humans, that Judah holds in higher esteem than God? I think we all know the answer to that question.

Even through his speech, God tries to reach out to the Remnant, but he knows it's fruitless.

Two very telling verses, 25-26, reveals that God knows they won't turn away from their evil and wicked ways, by telling them that he would take care of wiping away their impurities, himself. Again, it begs the question, as to how. How would God, not Judah and Jerusalem, but God, himself, "thoroughly purge away your dross and remove all your impurities.", especially since he’s shunning their worthless attempts to the sacrifice and to faithfully follow the letter of the Torah?

God then goes on to tell Judah and Jerusalem that a Mighty Man will become a flax, to be shaken out as refuse, but his work would be the spark, both burning, where no one, no, can quench. 

This begs the final question......Who was this Mighty Man? This Mighty Man, shunned and thrown out, as refuse? The Mighty Man that meets this demise, but with his works, starts a spark, that will start a fire, that no one can quench. Who was he? There was only one man that fit the bill. That one man poses the same question to the descendants of Judah today, as he did to one of his students, so long ago......"Who Do You Say I Am?" Up to now, there has been no response, from my Rabbinical Jewish Friend. Your Thoughts? Shalom!


4 comments:

  1. Hi Keith,
    the scriptures say that Jesus is the express image of God, and just as what I speak is the same as my thoughts, so too is Jesus the Word of God, with the thoughts of God being reflected to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brenda, Sorry for the delay. I agree with what you said. What do you think about verse 18, in particular...how it seems to change gears, in the middle of the prophecy?

      Delete
  2. Hi Keith, I believe that verse 18 is the Lord asking us to get into a conversation with Him and interact, not just to read His Word.

    ReplyDelete